Disordered Eating Part I: Core Issues
Did you know that about 65% of women are affected by disordered eating? In this first episode of our disordered eating series, we discuss the overall prevalence of eating disorders in society, including the damage it can cause on various ages and socio-economic groups.
In this segment of BURST tv, Jan Lemoine explores some of the core issues surrounding disordered eating and how shame and perfectionism play a role at the root. She will teach us about the differentiation between disordered eating and eating disorders (and how this is far from a simple matter). We are also afforded a raw, honest sneak peek into one dental hygienist’s family history with eating disorders–from her mother’s struggle with anorexia to her own reckoning with anorexia and bulimia in her teen years.
- Here are some important numbers if you or someone you love are struggling:
- National Eating Disorder Association (NEDA) 800-931-2237 call or text
- In CRISIS, text NEDA to 741741 and you will be connected with a trained crisis volunteer
- National Association of Anorexia Nervosa and Associated Disorders: https://anad.org/
- Jan Lemoine is registered dental hygienist, BURST ambassador, certified health coach. She can be reached here: theliveandbewelcoach.com